October 17, 2018 | Kewaunee County Economic Development Corporation is seeking an entrepreneurial, proactive business executive for an influential position as Executive Director. Kewaunee County is located on the peninsula between Green Bay and Lake Michigan, a beautiful tourist destination in Northeast Wisconsin. Residents enjoy a great quality of life, an outstanding school system and a thriving and attractive business climate energized by companies who market their products locally and globally.
This an excellent opportunity for someone who can appreciate the value of living in Kewaunee County and the professional opportunities, challenges and satisfaction of a one-of-a-kind job in a great community.
As Executive Director you will be leading the Kewaunee County Economic Development Corporation (KCEDC), a non-profit business supported by joint public/private funding. Your primary responsibility will be to serve and support the community for business development, new business start-ups and other dedicated services that enhance and benefit the economic and community growth. This broad role includes the ability to:
- Function as the primary coalition builder, managing in a way that fosters collaborative relationships at the local, state, and federal level for the benefit of the community
- Meet in person with C-suite business leaders, human resources, and information technology experts for requirements analysis discussions specific to a broad range of industries including manufacturing, agriculture, healthcare, financial services, and information technology
- Develop marketing and public relations campaigns across traditional and new media to properly showcase the significant advantages in the community and business environment
- Implement an appropriate Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform and the best practices to document confidential needs assessments
- Ability to establish and communicate value propositions of KCEDC services to each target audience of investors, educators, public and private partners, and businesses in the region.
- Develop the Annual Budget and Work Program and effectively managing all programs within that budget
- Lead initiatives for new and existing programs that support business in the community such as workforce development and improvements to community infrastructure for broadband, transportation, affordable housing and telecommunications
- Promote and coordinate financial and technical services to business and industry
- Coordinate the KCEDC economic development efforts with other private and public sector partners
- Communicate and work with the Board of Directors to develop support and guidance on new initiatives
The Executive Director is the chief operating officer and secretary of the corporation and is responsible for the functioning of the corporation under policies established by the corporation’s Board of Directors. With the Board, the Executive Director shall develop and execute for the service area a comprehensive community and economic development strategy, which includes existing business development, new business start-up, recruitment, workforce development, and community preparedness.
The Board of Directors approves selection based upon merit and qualifications.
- Develops and implements, with Board input and approval, an Annual Work Program and budget to guide the activities of KCEDC
- Responds appropriately to all inquiries from businesses considering start-up, expansion or relocation in Kewaunee County
- Develops and maintains, in conjunction with the Board, sufficient financial support to sustain and grow the organization
- Maintains effective and efficient office operations including management of staff, accounting, record keeping, policies and procedures and related functions
- Maintains the corporation not-for-profit (IRC 501(c) 3) status
- Complies with all professional and legal business practices
- Ensures corporation compliance with all grant and program contracts
- Takes a leadership role in developing programs and initiatives to address new trends and evolving needs of the business community such as workforce development, attainable housing, telecommunications, technology access, etc.
- Responsible for effective marketing and other business incentive programs
- Develops and oversees comprehensive workforce development, talent attraction and school-to-work initiatives to grow and sustain a skilled workforce
Other Typical Duties:
- Establishes a collaborative working relationship with local, regional and state economic development partners
- Provides professional assistance to existing business, addressing needs in fiscal, marketing, operations and/or management
- Develops, coordinates and promotes financial, technical training, and other assistance programs for local businesses and prospects
- Assembles, maintains and shares data files and reports related to existing industrial and commercial buildings, industrial site locations, demographics, economic indicators and related statistical information, resource agencies and state and federal programs
- Develops, markets and implements local, state and federal business financial incentive programs to promote private investment and job creation
- Develops and coordinates marketing program to attract compatible businesses to Kewaunee County
- Develops and implements professional assistance programs to inspire, train and support entrepreneurs seeking to start or grow a business
- Coordinates the KCEDC economic development efforts with local governments and related development groups
- Develops and implements a program to improve the business climate and community’s preparedness for economic development
- Assists local communities in the development and expansion of local businesses or industrial parks and markets available sites to business and industry
- Serves as a public advocate for economic development in the community
- Track and measure results and impact of programs/services and effectively communicate accomplishments to stakeholders and the community
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Minimum Bachelor’s degree plus 7 to 10 years of progressively responsible experience in Economic Development, Public Administration, Finance, Planning, Business or Marketing. Demonstrated ability to interact and coordinate organizations, governmental operations and manage a corporate entity. A background that includes a mix of private sector and public sector business experience is ideal. Prior success in fund raising, grant writing, and public speaking is helpful as well. This is a highly visible position with significant community and business interaction. CEcD or NDC certification or significant course work desirable. High energy, enthusiastic, quick to respond to opportunities and threats. Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to prepare written and statistical reports from various data. Demonstrated ease with public speaking and a confident leadership demeanor are required. Strong project management skills. Requires excellent organizational skills and the ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks. Ability to deal courteously, tactfully, and effectively with the public. Ability to work independently and make decisions in accordance with corporation rules, policies and regulations. Knowledge of common office PC applications. Must have use of a vehicle for required travel and must possess a valid driver’s license.
Job Location and Hours:
Position is based at the Bank of Luxemburg, Casco, Wisconsin, and is a salaried exempt position. Position requires significant travel within the County and occasional travel outside the County for work related marketing, recruitment or training purposes.
Wages and Terms of Employment:
Wages for the position are established annually by the Board of Directors. Position is one of at-will employment.
Submit a letter of interest and resume by Friday, November 30, 2018 to Interim Executive Director, Kim Larson, at Admin@KCEDC.org.
Application materials may also be mailed to:
PO Box 361
Luxemburg WI 54217-0361
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of specific responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
KCEDC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran, marital, or domestic partner status. KCEDC is committed to a diverse workforce and is an affirmative action employer.
©2018 Kewaunee County Economic Development Corporation